Monday, May 14, 2012

Beautiful, glorious birds!

These pictures were taken after a one day course in DSRLs with Satish Menon. It was a really fun class, and helped me learn to begin to use my DSLR (a Nikon D5100) as a DSLR. I had been using it as a point and shoot so far, because I was not getting the time or the mood to sit down with a book. I thought taking this class will be a great way to start, and it was! He also gave us some basic "recipes" for portraits and landscapes. After the theory part was over, we went to a park (forgetting the name...I think Hellyer Park?), and practiced what we had learned.

As always, do click on the pictures to see the enlarged versions, and see pictures on FULL screen, to see each droplet of water as the birds splashed in the lake, the details of their eyes, and their feathers :-)). 

It seemed like they were enjoying "posing" for me, as much as I was enjoying taking their pictures.

Camera: Nikon D5100, 18-55mm VR Nikkor lens, ISO 100, Aperture f/5.6, Exposure 1/400 sec, focal length 55mm, ISO 100, No flash, handheld.








4 comments:

Fira Marine said...

Hehe. They look like they were having fun, diving in and out of the water. ;)

Swati said...

They really were having fun! And seemed to be showing off to me what they were doing. LOL!

Nicole Hanna said...

I love the second to bottom photo. The water droplets and the movement of the water... the color and everything is really fabulous in that one. I love taking pictures of seagulls (which everyone here calls the rats of the ocean). Birds have such fantastic personalities and you've captured it here.

Satish Menon said...

Swati, congratulations! It was great having you in the class on Saturday. Your enthusiasm really shows. Good luck with your photography.